RDKate, Katie (Murtha) Davis MS, RD, CSSD, LDN has a mission to help athletes experience the beneficial effects of smart nutrition on sport performance. RDKate offers expertise to athletes and athletic teams in all topics related to sports nutrition, as well as in the areas of medical nutrition therapy (including cardiovascular health and diabetes), eating disorders/disordered eating, intuitive/mindful eating and weight management for sport.
Blog Contributor: USAT, STACK, Naperville Patch
- Master of Science in Human Nutrition with an emphasis in exercise physiology from Michigan State University (MSU) 
- Dietetic Internship at the University of Michigan Hospitals and Health Systems in Ann Arbor, Michigan 
- Bachelor of Science in Dietetics from MSU 
- Registered Dietitian (RD) through the Commission on Dietetic Registration
- Licensed Dietitian Nutritionist (LDN) through the state of Illinois
- Board Certified Specialist in Sports Dietetics (CSSD) through the Commission on Dietetic Registration
- Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (AND)
- Illinois Dietetic Association (IDA): Secretary 2012-2013
- Sports and Cardiovascular Wellness Dietitians (SCAN): Director of Member Services 2013-2014
- Nutrition Entrepreneurs (NE)
- Collegiate & Professional Sports Dietitians Association (CPSDA)
Katie began her career working as a clinical dietitian, where she gained a wealth of experience working in the following in sub-acute rehabilitation, brain injury rehabilitation, general surgery, low-risk maternity, colon/rectal, bariatric, ortho/neuro, and joint replacement.
- Clinical Dietitian
- IMG Training Academies Nutrition Intern
- IMG Training Academies Interim Head of Nutrition Division
- Michigan State University Sports Dietitian
Katie then went on to spend a summer interning in the Nutrition Division of the IMG Training Academy in Bradenton, Florida. There, she conducted large group seminars, small group sessions, and individual consultations with athletes ages 8-22 and adults. Main sports included tennis, soccer, basketball, baseball, swimming, and golf. She also consulted with athletes at the professional level. She was then asked back the following summer to serve as the interim head of the Nutrition Division, where she was able to spend more time interacting with professional level football players, including conducting body composition assessment and sweat rate testing, and creating meal plans for body composition changes.
While obtaining her Masters degree, Katie worked as a MSU collegiate sports dietitian for two years, working with varsity athletes at MSU. During that time, she also conducted research assessing cardiovascular risk status in MSU athletes at varying levels of body mass index (BMI) compared to risk status in BMI-matched students who were not athletes. Katie was also a co-instructor for two undergraduate and graduate-level courses during her undergraduate and graduate career.
While Katie has presented numerous seminars to a variety of populations, she has a passion for speaking to and counseling athletes. She has also contributed to several magazine articles and interviews. Read one of her recent articles here. As one of only 27 registered dietitians in the state of Illinois and one of only 550 in the United States to earn the CSSD credential, Katie is proud of both the experience and education she can offer ot her athletes. Learn more about the CSSD credential here, and how it compares to other sports nutrition credentials here.
Outside of the office, Katie enjoys competing in triathlons in the spring/summer and racing trail/road running events and snowboarding in the fall/winter. Her own experiences as an athlete for over 14 years make her someone who really lives what she preaches. Katie is also an avid traveler, having been to multiple states in the U.S. as well as Argentina, Belgium, France, Italy, New Zealand, and Switzerland. Katie resides in Naperville with her husband - and fellow sport enthusiast - Ron and their daughter, Emma.
Kate brings all of her experience and knowledge to the table as a sports dietitian/nutritionist. Whether you desire individual or group consulting, you can be confident that RDKate is the expert you need.